Skip to main content

The Gorgon

As I have grown older, I've become aware of a characteristic of mine, which I don't much like. It's not casual racism or a prediliction for keeping a lap dog in a handbag about my person. It's more complicated than that.

It's my face. Or at least: that's where it starts. I have a resting facial expression that gives off a vibe. A hostile one. Not intentionally; it's just well... It's a thing. My face at rest looks like Vinnie Jones thinking "you don't get to talk about my mum".

I get it from my father, who got it from his father, who in turn... All the way back to Cro-Magnon man. Somehow my family line has managed to maintain the same physical characteristics as the European early modern humans of 15,000 years ago, almost without compromise.

I used to joke about this with people. Then one afternoon, in a moment of boredom, I decided to google what Cro-Magnon man looked like. You know you get those artists impressions of long dead species? Well the same exists for CMM. Lo and behold, atop the list of my image search results was a gentle portrait of... Well, not to put too fine a point on it, me. I'm handsome enough, but to all intents and purposes I am also pre-historic man.

Some examples of Cro-Magnon Man

Daily people say to me "are you okay?", seeing the foaming torrent of fury upon my brow. What they don't realise is, they're almost certainly seeing me imagining "what will I eat for lunch today?" The person asking the question doubtless thinks I'm giving genuine consideration to eating them. Alas.

This isn't helped by a number of other qualities of mine. I have a deepish and booming voice, excellent for terrifying small children... And adults too as it turns out. It all goes together to form the impression of an altogether terrifying man. C'est moi.

Tragically for all concerned, the inquiry "are you okay?" now triggers a Pavlovian reaction. Immediately I'm thinking "oh no's! I'm giving off that vibe again!"

Even my own wife, who at this point I've known for half my life, asks this question. It's as if I have a broken sensor which feeds people the wrong data. My face is the human equivalent of a smoke alarm cited too near a toaster. Daily triggering panic in those around me when really everything is fine. It's fresh toast, not the end of the world.

Whilst this may seem immediately comic, it is not. Not really. I spend more of my life than I would like attempting to compensate. Trying to make people feel everything's okay, when actually everything is okay, it's just my face that suggests otherwise. This is tiring. Adjusting the person that you appear to be, to be closer to the person that you actually are. It really is exhausting. It merits a chorus of "I am what I am, and what I am, needs no excuses". And then some.

The question is: what to do? I need a lifehack to help me. I've had a small bunch of ideas so far:

Idea #1. Literally look through rose tinted spectacles if you're giving off that vibe. What I mean is: get some sunglasses of a cheery disposition and wear them when you fear you're giving off negative vibes. If they look somewhat ridiculous, so much the better. That can only serve your purpose. Aim for Elton John's heyday and you can't go far wrong.

Idea #2: always be looking in mirrors. This has the disadvantage of coming across vain but might help as you'd be aware of your appearance. It's also impractical; mirrors aren't everywhere. Mind you, Arthur Fonzarelli managed to swing this.

Idea #3: Eye contact; make more of it. This helps people know that you're not a serial killer; I'm certain of that.

If anyone else has any suggestions I would warmly welcome them. Debug me; you have my blessing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Faith and the Furious

It was the start of the summer holidays. The Reilly family had headed North to the Peak District to go youth hostelling, prior to heading East to Newark for the Focus festival. A good time had been had by all. We'd been staying in the picturesque and slightly remote village of Hartington. The weather had been typical of British summertime. Which is to say, a combination of not raining whilst looking like it might, actually raining and on occasion, being suspiciously pleasant. One must roll with whatever nature throws at you in this country. The UK loves a railway. We have many. But we used to have more. Back in the 1960s a man named Dr Beeching wrote an infamous report on the profitability of our forest of railway lines. And as a consequence there was deforestation; many of those railways became ex-railways. Death can lead to rebirth. Whilst many railways stopped being railways, they left behind them tracks, tunnels and paths that joined up destinations. By and large, these trac

What would Phileas Fogg do?

It is June 2022. COVID hove into view back in early 2020 and radically adjusted all our lives. Part of that was the ability (and ease) of travelling abroad. Like so many, the Reilly family were effectively grounded since then. We have made trips, but we never left England. So when life started to seem less restrictive, we made plans. We found ourselves camping in a place called Cavallino in Italy. It looks on a map, as if it is near Venice. Looks can be deceiving. It turns out Swindon has better travel links to London than Cavallino has to Venice. However, links it has, and links we have used. You can travel from Cavallino on the bus down to Punta Sabbioni and then switch to a boat for the trip into Venice (or rather "Venezia"). This is the Reilly family on Burano, an island to the north of Venice. Having left the UK, where pretty much all COVID related mask restrictions were lifted some time ago, it was a surprise to discover that they are still in force in Italy.

The First Day of School

It was a warm Thursday morning. Despite it being mid-September and the beginning of autumn it still felt summery. Just another day of sunshine. But that wasn't quite true, for today was Benjamin's first day of school. He was going to get up, eat breakfast, put on a shirt, shorts and a tie and walk the 6 doors down the road to St Stephen's Primary. Lisette had reservations about the tie; the shirt too for that matter. It seemed excessive for a child as young as 4. But they were the rules. She had other things to worry about; John was faintly baffled by the level of stress accorded to the difficulty in acquiring shorts. But there you go. The morning began as most mornings did. Lisette drank a mug of tea upstairs. The boys drank milk, played and sat around her. Downstairs, Radio 4 could be heard in the background as John flicked various knobs and twisted dials on his coffee machine until something was produced that sat somewhere on the scale between "cappuccino"