Skip to main content

Father's Day Advice

When I was 16 years old, my father gave me a piece of advice that dramatically changed me. His advice changed my interactions with the world. I rather doubt he thought it would have such impact, but change me it did.

Having finished my mandatory schooling, I had recently started attending sixth form college. I was taking A-levels in Maths, Computer Science and Economics. I found I took to the former 2 subjects like a duck to water. They weren't a struggle, they were interesting and I had a natural aptitude. For want of a better phrase, I could "do it".

However, Economics was a different kettle of fish. It did not fit in my head. I could not grok it. I sat there, in lesson after lesson, listening hard to Terri Wilcox explaining Keynes, Monetarism, supply and demand. Occasionally she deviated and talked about her beloved Blackburn Rovers. It did not go in. Not the Economics and certainly not the football. At the end of each sentence uttered I found myself more bewildered than the last.

What made it worse was that I was alone in this. We all sat there in this silent classroom. Everyone else drinking in the new knowledge like so much ginger beer. Except me.

After a couple of weeks I began to despair. I was learning nothing. I felt I was about as likely to gain a qualification in economics as I was to learn how to breathe underwater. (A life goal that I had only recently realised wasn't actually possible.) So, whilst drying up after dinner one night, I explained my predicament to Dad.

"If you don't understand something, you should ask" he advised.

"But I'll just look stupid"

"No, if don't ask then you'll remain ignorant. And that is stupid."

"But no-one else needs to ask, they all understand!" I moaned.

"How do you know?"

"Well if they didn't, they'd ask."

"Like you, you mean?"

The man had a point. He continued:

"I reckon that every person in that room is in the same position as you. I reckon they're all sitting there saying nothing and learning nothing. That's what I think. And even if I'm wrong, you're certainly learning nothing right now. You have an opportunity to change that."

I couldn't fault his logic. I was slightly concerned about where it might lead, but there was a chance he was right.

In the next dreaded lesson I sat there listening. Terri was talking about the money supply or some such fanciful notion. As usual, in the realm of economic education, I was demonstrating all the sponge-like qualities of a pumice stone. Terri reached the end of her spiel and said "Any questions?"

Summoning my courage I raised my hand and said "I don't think I quite understand..."

"What don't you understand?"

"Well... Any of it really." There were were titters, as I had feared. Terri paused for a moment and then grinned. She proceeded to start explaining at the beginning. At the end of each paragraph she would check with me that I was following along. I'd respond, honestly, and where I didn't follow it, Terri would take me through, concept by concept until I did. From my perspective my classmates might as well not have been there; it had turned into a dialogue between Terri and myself. When it came time to leave the lesson I had a first: I'd learned something.

That's how it continued from thereon in. If I didn't understand something, which was most of the time, I asked. Terri stopped and she took me through it. I never came to find the dismal science straightforward or interesting. It is dull. But I did learn it. In large part I credit that to Terri for being game with a student who showed no gifting for her subject. But mainly I credit this to my father.

The principle he espoused applies far more broadly than A-level economics lessons. If you don't know: then you should say. Find out! You're wasting your time otherwise. The only reason other people don't do the same is that they're scared. But scared of what? Looking ignorant? That passes in a couple of minutes. Actually being ignorant doesn't.... Unless you take action. It's a lesson that's stuck with me. Thanks Dad.

Happy Father's Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Faith and the Furious

It was the start of the summer holidays. The Reilly family had headed North to the Peak District to go youth hostelling, prior to heading East to Newark for the Focus festival. A good time had been had by all. We'd been staying in the picturesque and slightly remote village of Hartington. The weather had been typical of British summertime. Which is to say, a combination of not raining whilst looking like it might, actually raining and on occasion, being suspiciously pleasant. One must roll with whatever nature throws at you in this country. The UK loves a railway. We have many. But we used to have more. Back in the 1960s a man named Dr Beeching wrote an infamous report on the profitability of our forest of railway lines. And as a consequence there was deforestation; many of those railways became ex-railways. Death can lead to rebirth. Whilst many railways stopped being railways, they left behind them tracks, tunnels and paths that joined up destinations. By and large, these trac

Cable Cars and Credit Cards

I proferred the binbag. "All the rubbish; in here please". Conor turned to his right, "Una, will you climb in now?" Una grinned and mimed throwing objects into the sack. "There's my hopes and dreams right there Conor." Conor, Una, Lisette and I have known each other for half our lives. Well; Conor's not quite there - he's the elder statesman of our group. We met when we were working for British Airways as students, and living in Hounslow's finest dodgy digs. Since that time we've been scattered to the four winds; Una to Ireland, Conor to Switzerland. Lisette and I, well, maybe 3 miles tops to Twickenham. In seeking a mutual meeting place we found ourselves reaching for the logistically logical location: Italy. (I know; like a stepladder where you least expect it.) In keeping with how we first got to know one another, luxury accomodation was not our priority. We decided to camp. Can there be a fuller way to challenge your fear of

What would Phileas Fogg do?

It is June 2022. COVID hove into view back in early 2020 and radically adjusted all our lives. Part of that was the ability (and ease) of travelling abroad. Like so many, the Reilly family were effectively grounded since then. We have made trips, but we never left England. So when life started to seem less restrictive, we made plans. We found ourselves camping in a place called Cavallino in Italy. It looks on a map, as if it is near Venice. Looks can be deceiving. It turns out Swindon has better travel links to London than Cavallino has to Venice. However, links it has, and links we have used. You can travel from Cavallino on the bus down to Punta Sabbioni and then switch to a boat for the trip into Venice (or rather "Venezia"). This is the Reilly family on Burano, an island to the north of Venice. Having left the UK, where pretty much all COVID related mask restrictions were lifted some time ago, it was a surprise to discover that they are still in force in Italy.