Skip to main content

A voyage around my father‏

My name is James Edmund Reilly. Hullo there! You seem a little bored. No matter; I have the remedy. Let me tell you about how my holiday began.


That´s me

It was Wednesday 15th April, 2015. In Twickenham, where I'm proud to lay my hat, spring was determinedly springing. I awoke at 4:30am to the tuneful warblings of birdsong. Not wanting to be left out I decided that I would join my feathered friends in their early morning chorus. I gave voice and cleared the lungs with a good howl. I imagine it really added something to the melody. After around 15 minutes of this I felt I was done. By now I could hear daddy downstairs moving around and I settled back to rest, content in the knowledge of a job well done. Not only had I added to the music of the morning but I knew Daddy doesn't like to waste the day. I'd given him the wonderful gift of an extra 2 hours of awake time before everyone else got up. I knew he'd be pleased as punch. Mummy and I soon drifted off again.

When I came to later on I was downstairs in the kitchen. Daddy was busy making coffee for a decorator. The man didn't speak English but it was clear to me he didn't actually want a drink. However that didn't deter my father and the frustrated decorator, seeing the way the wind was blowing, reluctantly acquiesced. It was clearly a strange British custom about which nothing could be done. I could see him thinking: "Things are far more straightforward back in the old country, to be sure". As soon as he could, he trotted briskly down to the bottom of the garden, bearing the newly presented Starbucks mug of the brown stuff. I think he was trying to keep as great a distance between himself and my father as was possible. Fair enough say I; Daddy can be an odd bird.

We were travelling out to Mallorca to see Granny Annie and Aunty Severine. Mummy and daddy then began to pack. Well, mummy did anyway. Daddy did a lot of looking alternately pensive, worried and bored. I'm sure that was equally useful.

We boarded the train at St Margarets Station and changed at Clapham Junction for Gatwick. Benjamin, my elder brother, was in 7th heaven. "Trains!" he exclaimed, repeatedly. As people tramped past me they smiled. Yeah - I'm cute me.

Throughout the airport Benjamin insisted upon "shoulders". That is to say, he made Daddy carry him on his shoulders. Daddy did his best but after a while he seemed a little.. Droopy?

Aboard the aeroplane we took our seats. We had a whole row to ourselves. Benjamin sat next to the window. Mummy in the middle and Daddy took the aisle seat. Better for his leg he said. I sat on Mummy. Well, stood on Mummy would perhaps be more accurate. I didn't feel like sitting down - it was all so exciting!

For instance, in the row in front there were 3 ladies with peculiar voices. Australian, I decided. They looked most interesting. Priscilla, the lady in front of Daddy, had pink pink hair. Well, apart from the roots. They were another colour. Her face looked a little different to most ladies I know. There was lots and lots of powder on it. Also, her eyelashes were very bristly and black. Like a chimney sweeps brush. And her lips, matched her hair.

I thought she would be worth investigating and so I reached forward to do just that. I wondered what her face looked like underneath and I elected to try and rub some of the emulsion off her to see. Daddy didn't appear to be completely on board with my plan and pulled me back. So I settled for a little play with her seat back instead.

"My hair! He touched my hair!"

Priscilla was freaking out. She rounded upon Mummy and said, in an accusatory fashion, "Children freak me out" (she wasn't wrong) and "Don't let it touch me". Following up with some other choice phrases.

It!!! It???!!? The painted lady had harshed my mellow somewhat. Mummy seemed a little anxious after Priscilla had finished her tirade so I held her for a while. She needed comforting. I also expressed my considered opinion of Lady P by filling my nappy. That'd show her!


Comforting Mummy...

With that I went to sleep and didn't awake until Mallorca. At the end of the flight Mummy and Daddy seemed a little bit broken. But not to worry; I'll take good care of them. They'll be fine soon. Probably.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Faith and the Furious

It was the start of the summer holidays. The Reilly family had headed North to the Peak District to go youth hostelling, prior to heading East to Newark for the Focus festival. A good time had been had by all. We'd been staying in the picturesque and slightly remote village of Hartington. The weather had been typical of British summertime. Which is to say, a combination of not raining whilst looking like it might, actually raining and on occasion, being suspiciously pleasant. One must roll with whatever nature throws at you in this country. The UK loves a railway. We have many. But we used to have more. Back in the 1960s a man named Dr Beeching wrote an infamous report on the profitability of our forest of railway lines. And as a consequence there was deforestation; many of those railways became ex-railways. Death can lead to rebirth. Whilst many railways stopped being railways, they left behind them tracks, tunnels and paths that joined up destinations. By and large, these trac

Cable Cars and Credit Cards

I proferred the binbag. "All the rubbish; in here please". Conor turned to his right, "Una, will you climb in now?" Una grinned and mimed throwing objects into the sack. "There's my hopes and dreams right there Conor." Conor, Una, Lisette and I have known each other for half our lives. Well; Conor's not quite there - he's the elder statesman of our group. We met when we were working for British Airways as students, and living in Hounslow's finest dodgy digs. Since that time we've been scattered to the four winds; Una to Ireland, Conor to Switzerland. Lisette and I, well, maybe 3 miles tops to Twickenham. In seeking a mutual meeting place we found ourselves reaching for the logistically logical location: Italy. (I know; like a stepladder where you least expect it.) In keeping with how we first got to know one another, luxury accomodation was not our priority. We decided to camp. Can there be a fuller way to challenge your fear of

What would Phileas Fogg do?

It is June 2022. COVID hove into view back in early 2020 and radically adjusted all our lives. Part of that was the ability (and ease) of travelling abroad. Like so many, the Reilly family were effectively grounded since then. We have made trips, but we never left England. So when life started to seem less restrictive, we made plans. We found ourselves camping in a place called Cavallino in Italy. It looks on a map, as if it is near Venice. Looks can be deceiving. It turns out Swindon has better travel links to London than Cavallino has to Venice. However, links it has, and links we have used. You can travel from Cavallino on the bus down to Punta Sabbioni and then switch to a boat for the trip into Venice (or rather "Venezia"). This is the Reilly family on Burano, an island to the north of Venice. Having left the UK, where pretty much all COVID related mask restrictions were lifted some time ago, it was a surprise to discover that they are still in force in Italy.