Skip to main content

500 Days of Benjamin

It's just over 500 days since Benjamin, my son, was born. He's no longer the fragile newborn. He eats normal food, he walks, he sleeps through the night. He's a very healthy little fellow. He doesn't talk yet but I've no doubt it's in the post.


Benjamin and I in Santa Ponsa, Mallorca
(visiting Granny Annie and Aunty Sevie)

Lately I've been considering - how has becoming a father changed me? Because I know it has.

To a greater extent than I'd like, the answer is fear. Put simply, I'm terrified. I'm terrified of something happening to Benjamin. I'm terrified of him hurting himself, someone else hurting him or worse still, me hurting him. And lest I sound too narcissistic - it's not restricted to him.

Fact of the matter is I find much of the world more painful than I can bear anymore. I've found I can't read newspapers these days. They are filled with tragic events. People wounding each other, people killing each other. And I can't take it. Not that it didn't used to bother me, it did, but my reaction now is far greater. For every person I read about suffering I know that that person was some mother's son, or some father's daughter and for reasons that I cannot satisfactorily explain that makes it painful for me to even consider. I realise this sounds incredibly self-indulgent. Believe me I don't mean it to be - but I've got to be honest.

The flip side of this coin is the feeling of absolute joy that Benjamin brings to Lisette and I. Each morning we wake at about 6am. Lisette jumps in the shower, I go to the kitchen and make her tea (builders, milk, 1 sugar), me coffee (a large strong latte) and Benjamin gets 8 fluid ounces of full fat milk given 3 rotations in the microwave on full power. We assemble the drinks upstairs and then enter Benjamin's room to wake up the young master with a rousing chorus of Lisette's creation:

"Goooooooooooooooood morning, good morning!
We love you very much, good morning, good morning to you!
Goooooooooooooooood morning, good morning!
You slept the whole night through, good morning to you!"

He'll beam up at us and, after a little coaxing, present Lisette with his dummies (he sleeps with 3 in the bed just to be on the safe side). And then it's back to our bedroom where Benjamin will glug his way through about 80% of the milk before breaking off to play with various toys that we have scattered on the bed.

Each day we're filled with enormous gratitude that God has blessed us *so* richly. What a magnificent little man he is. How privileged we are to get to raise this jolly little boy. To have each other. It's wonderful and we are so grateful. I've found I'm coming to forget what life was like before we had Benjamin. That's one reason why I'm writing this - I want to remind myself in the future how it felt in the past. In my head, it feels like we were just wasting time before Benjamin. I don't think that we were actually - what I'm trying to say is that I'd much rather be living the life I'm living right now than go back to my life before parenthood.

I guess that's it. Life is as it was before, but the emotional intensity is greatly increased. The joy has increased exponentially. And so has the fear. But it's worth it for the joy. Yes, it's definitely worth it.


Lisette and Benjamin on the swings in Moormead Park.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Faith and the Furious

It was the start of the summer holidays. The Reilly family had headed North to the Peak District to go youth hostelling, prior to heading East to Newark for the Focus festival. A good time had been had by all. We'd been staying in the picturesque and slightly remote village of Hartington. The weather had been typical of British summertime. Which is to say, a combination of not raining whilst looking like it might, actually raining and on occasion, being suspiciously pleasant. One must roll with whatever nature throws at you in this country. The UK loves a railway. We have many. But we used to have more. Back in the 1960s a man named Dr Beeching wrote an infamous report on the profitability of our forest of railway lines. And as a consequence there was deforestation; many of those railways became ex-railways. Death can lead to rebirth. Whilst many railways stopped being railways, they left behind them tracks, tunnels and paths that joined up destinations. By and large, these trac

Cable Cars and Credit Cards

I proferred the binbag. "All the rubbish; in here please". Conor turned to his right, "Una, will you climb in now?" Una grinned and mimed throwing objects into the sack. "There's my hopes and dreams right there Conor." Conor, Una, Lisette and I have known each other for half our lives. Well; Conor's not quite there - he's the elder statesman of our group. We met when we were working for British Airways as students, and living in Hounslow's finest dodgy digs. Since that time we've been scattered to the four winds; Una to Ireland, Conor to Switzerland. Lisette and I, well, maybe 3 miles tops to Twickenham. In seeking a mutual meeting place we found ourselves reaching for the logistically logical location: Italy. (I know; like a stepladder where you least expect it.) In keeping with how we first got to know one another, luxury accomodation was not our priority. We decided to camp. Can there be a fuller way to challenge your fear of

What would Phileas Fogg do?

It is June 2022. COVID hove into view back in early 2020 and radically adjusted all our lives. Part of that was the ability (and ease) of travelling abroad. Like so many, the Reilly family were effectively grounded since then. We have made trips, but we never left England. So when life started to seem less restrictive, we made plans. We found ourselves camping in a place called Cavallino in Italy. It looks on a map, as if it is near Venice. Looks can be deceiving. It turns out Swindon has better travel links to London than Cavallino has to Venice. However, links it has, and links we have used. You can travel from Cavallino on the bus down to Punta Sabbioni and then switch to a boat for the trip into Venice (or rather "Venezia"). This is the Reilly family on Burano, an island to the north of Venice. Having left the UK, where pretty much all COVID related mask restrictions were lifted some time ago, it was a surprise to discover that they are still in force in Italy.